Friday, January 29, 2010

Back Story.

So DFCS this week was pretty interesting....

One thing that really got me this week was a LIPT,Local Interagency Planning Team, meeting that I was able to go to. The purpose is to bring people that can provide different resources from all over Bartow County to help the individuals that need it. My supervisor and I went to it because one of her clients from DFCS was referred there and we wanted to be there for support and help he explain her situation to the group. The group than goes through different ideas for the client so and makes sure she is getting the best services possible to make her situation better. The idea of LIPT is a very good concept!! My supervisor and I got their before our client so we went in and listened to other clients and what there needs were and to see if we could help. This one client was a 14-year-old girl. She was asked, "What can we help you with today?" "What can we do to make your life better?" Well all she had to say was "I don't want to go to school." She went on and on about how she just wanted to hang out with her friends, and didn't want to go to school. She just wanted to sleep. One lady asked her "Do you not see that we all care about you and want the best for you?" All the girl did was laugh and say "WHY?..." The conversation went on for a good 30 mins. It went NO WHERE. She wasn't grateful, she wasn't receptive of our services, she just wanted to sleep, and she was willing to throw away her life for something that wouldn't matter years from now. I was dumbfounded when I sat there. There wasn't anything we could say or do to help that girl.

Needless to say, It upset me. It upset me because we actually cared about her and she took us as a joke. It made me want to stand on the table and scream at her for being an idiot. BUT what good would that do for me? So yeah I just sat there and watched her walk out of the room knowing that she wasn't going to take life seriously. She had so much going for her, and she didn't care!!!! I mean one lady was throwing out her strengths and she was saying "When she is good and listening she is GREAT." It was like she didn't care that someone cared about her and saw that she could be a good girl. I just wonder her back story is. I wonder what has happened to her to feel this way. It makes me look at my own back story and what I have gone through.

So what is your back story? I pray that your back life was something that you have learned from and that your life is better because of it. At the end of the day that girl is going to make her own decisions. I just HOPE AND PRAY that her decisions don't cost her.

No comments:

Post a Comment